I swear, this is the blog that will never get blogged! I’ve tried posting a blog about my spring break multiple times and for some reason I can’t seem to finish it or I forget to save my progress and then it all gets deleted. So, here is the short and very sweet version of my Spring Break with Michelle.
1st stop: Vienna, Austria
Beautiful! We arrived in the early afternoon and took a leisurely stroll to the hotel. HOTEL, not hostel :) Upon arriving, Michelle decides to upgrade to a junior suite for the both of us. My oh my, what a treat!
We spent the whole day exploring and sight-seeing. We even got to go to a museum that night to end our day on the classiest of notes.
The next day we had a huge spread of food at the hotel. Hands down, my favorite food was the Swiss Muesli. Mmmmmmm I could have had that and only that and been as happy as a lark. But the day continued after that with some shopping, park strolls, and making our way up to the train station. A couple hour hike in the general direction with some rain, going in the opposite direction at one point, finding the metro entrance but not the train entrance, and waiting in a breazy doorway for over an hour didn’t make the most preferred conditions but we made it out good all the same.
2nd Stop: Budapest, Hungary
Now folks, this is where the story takes a little bit of a turn for the worse. I’ll set it up for you. Michelle and I are both hungry and the train got into the Budapest station around 9:30 pm. Our hostel is relatively close but its very dark. We make it to the hostel in 20 minutes and upon entering the building we’ve already got a bad feeling about the run-down…everything! Its on the top floor and when the man greets us at the door seeing two of us he is shocked. He keeps telling us ONLY ONE! He is telling me that we only reserved a room for one.
I pull out the reservation that I printed out to show him that I reserved a double. The sheet clearly says a private room for two. He tells us, there are no rooms. They are expecting one person tonight, not two. This is when we find out the real problem. I had booked the hostel for the WRONG night. Yes, it is 10 pm in Budapest and Michelle and I are standing in a hostel that has no rooms open because they are still expecting the last bed to be filled by NOT US. This is how the night concludes.
– Michelle and I ask to use their internet to find a different hostel.
– After some time we come across a hostel that has 3 empty beds in an all-female dorm
– We leave to get to this hostel! (We know a general location)
– We want to stop for food but we need to know we have a place to sleep!! Ah!
– We realize we forgot to write down the name of the hostel.
– Go into a Chinese restuarant that is closing for the night to ask where a nearby hostel is. They don’t even know the word hostel??
– Michelle uses her 3G on her iPhone to re-google hostels. Michelle is using up her limited data plan
– We find the hostel name and location: Baroque Hostel
– We can’t figure out how to open the gate for the entrance….5 tries later, we are in
– The hostel has 2 open beds! We take them!
– We can’t have them because they only take cash!
– We leave for an ATM but before we can do that we can’t figure out how to open the gate. With pulling on strings and pushing of bars we resort to the guy working opening it up for us with a key (its a good walking distance from where he’s working at)
– We get cash at the ATM! A whole lot more than we needed because we don’t know the exchange rate.
– We can’t get back into the gate for the hostel, again worker lets us in (he’s frustrated)
– I try to pay but they dont have change for the big bills, so michelle luckily took out a little less than me
– We’re in! (the nights not over yet, we’re still hungry)
– Small and not the cleanest hostel, but we leave to find some food. Guy working tells us about a 24 hr grocery, and I know where he is describing
– We try to leave the hostel, but again, the gate is not working! He comes to let us out
– We find a small grocery that is about to close for the so we go in just in case we can’t find the 24 hour one.
– We find the 24 hour grocery! Ah! It’s only a open 18 hours, and we’re too late for that. Good thing we got a few snacks earlier
– We walk back to the hostel, and guess what….again the gate will not open when the guy buzzes us in. We find out that someone has pulled the electrical cord out and the buzzer is the working to open the gate…Get ready for the pun… The Baroque gate was broke!
– We eat snacks and go to bed. Pillows are as comfortable as a sack of lumpy socks. Still we fall asleep
– Wake up 6 hours later, pack up our bags, and check out of this place. Sorry about your gate!
-10 minutes after leaving the hostel Michelle gets a bloody nose.
The rest of the day we spend walking the entire town. We have all our luggage with us because we are not stepping foot in that hostel again. From 8 am to 3 pm we have lugged around our backpacks every which way. After a little bit confusion about where our bus was picking us up from we made it to our bus and headed home for Prague.
A little tiring but a lot of fun. That was my spring break. I don’t think it would have been possible to do it any other way.